Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I would need to do the YFZ front brake conversion is the calipers and pads right? I won't need the yfz master cylinder and I can use my stock rotor?

Can I get anything off a YFZ for the rear brake?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YFZ's have two calipers on the rear brake???

Does using the YFZ rear brake require any machine work or fabrication?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Two piston calipers, not two calipers. Meaning the caliper assembly has two pistons instead of the standard single.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wait... no, sorry I got confused. When they started talking about left and right I didn't realize they were referring to puting a front brake on the rear. :crazy:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Has anyone tried adapting the new rear stuff from the 07's? Didn't they go to a twin piston on those as well this year?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I'm figuring it's probably a good idea, I'd hate to slam into something this year.

Still have the stock stuff but I was never all that impressed with its effectiveness.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I must admit, the Raptor is terrible at stopping. I've ridden a YFZ before and was really impressed with the braking abilities.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I'd be willing to try, if they do have the dual piston for the 07's rear, but not sure if there's enough of them out on the market yet to get one cheap from ebay, or the like. For that reason I may just stick with the 700/yzf front right one caliper. I wouldn't usually waste time messing with the rear caliper as it does its job perfectly (for me anyways), but I got rear-ended last year and my rear caliper got taken out. Most rear calipers are just a s much as one of the front dual piston calipers, so I figured why not?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I now have a few rides in on the YFZ front calipers and braided lines. I still need to bleed them a bit, but they are a big improvement in power without being too grabby. I'm torn on the rear conversion, whether it's worth doing or not. The stock rear brake has never failed to lock when asked, unlike the fronts, so like rt, I don't know if I need it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I found a set of 06' YFZ front and rear calipers for sale. I just want to make sure that I dont buy something I dont need.

Do YFZ front & rear calipers have dual pistons ? or only the fronts ?

Also, as mentioned previously, they are a complete bolt on process and nothing has to be fabricated or rigged inorder for them to work ? correct ?

any difference between 06 and 07 models ? (Concerning Brakes)
thanks guys

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
hwy Raptor said:
I found a set of 06' YFZ front and rear calipers for sale. I just want to make sure that I dont buy something I dont need.

Do YFZ front & rear calipers have dual pistons ? or only the fronts ?

Also, as mentioned previously, they are a complete bolt on process and nothing has to be fabricated or rigged inorder for them to work ? correct ?

any difference between 06 and 07 models ? (Concerning Brakes)
thanks guys
The only fab work for the front caliper install is a little trimming to the top part of the plastic rotor guard so there is room for the caliper. Otherwise it is an even swap. I'm not sure about the '06 rear, if it is a twin piston then it is worth doing, if not, don't waste your time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts