Raptor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Sand Mountain. Second time out on my '04 Raptor after I had 680 kit put in it. Runs fantastic! I just need something to help me out, it must be the suspension. I have stock suspension, I'm 6'4" 250lbs and the front end beats the crap out of me on the dunes. Will the YFX shock s help out or only for trail riding? My buddies all have ridden YFZs on the dunes and don't seem to like the suspension.

thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The yfz fronts are a significant improvement over stock. YFZ riders may not always be fans of their oem suspension, but if you throw some oem 660 shocks on the fronts of their bikes they'd all swap back in a heartbeat.

If price is a concern, or even if you're looking to spend the cash to revalve and respring them and have some excellent shocks for the price, oem yfz fronts are a great choice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info.....
I just want a better ride. Money is not that much of a concern, I just want something that will make a difference.

What would be a jump up from the YFZ shocks? Not some full blown race series, but some middle ground that would make an improvement for someone my size? If there is something more expensive but worth it I would have no problem spending the money......as I sit here with ice on my elbow. Tough weekend at the dunes, those long travel cars leave some big ruts!

Any advice would help!

thanks in advance,

·
Registered
240 Posts
you can get some works with remote rezzies for around 600-700, which is about what you will spend to revalve, re-spring, and purchase a used set of yfz's for your weight and style.

you can get a good set of used YFZ's for around 200 and adjust the preload on the springs and set the dampning stiff and you should be fine for a while. But as said you may want to evantually have them revalved and resprung for your weight and riding style at which point they will be an excellent shock. Or spend about the same money and get a set of works which will be close in performance to modded YFZ's maybe better maybe not?? Or go all out and get a set of Elka's or Ohlins, just depends on how much you want to spend how soon you want to spend and what you really need for your riding style.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't mind spending the money, I'm just not a mechanic.
Shocks, I could change them out and even do the YFZ mod but if spending some extra money get me about the same performance, maybe even a little more, then I'm all for it.

I take it that they make these aftermarket shocks to bolt up directly without any mods?

'Works' is the brand? Any particular model?

thanks again!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
my 2 cents, yfz shocks ride stiffer then stockers, and take some adjusting to get rid of the bouncy feeling

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is what a few of my buddies were refering to.
But, they ride DS650s and they do ride great on the dunes (although a little under powered).

thanks,

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have a set of TCS long travel I'm VERY happy with. As for warwgn's comment about allout, he forgot Custom Axis.
Whatever brand you look at, look at the longtravel models they offer.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I found some used Works Performance A-T steeler shocks for around US$250 they are in good shape. Would you guys get these or the YFZ ones?

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
rappyfreak said:
I found some used Works Performance A-T steeler shocks for around US$250 they are in good shape. Would you guys get these or the YFZ ones?
...If they have rezzies...and look good...Get the wrks

I picked up used pair of wrks triple rate w remote rezzies in great shape even setup for my weight for $275 to my door...very nice improvement...from stock...not to mention the match my colors...red/chrome... 8)

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If i were you i would spend a little more and get some really nice shocks. There is nothing worse than dropping money for a part and it not being good enough, then having to upgrade. I would get Elka's or the new Fox Float X Evols. Sweet, but a little over the top for what you need. A triple or quad rate Elka with preload and comp. adjustment would probably be best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts