Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Thats a pretty good deal, I got mine for $180 new. They are a very nice upgrade over stock.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Yeah installation is simple.....jack up the Quad, unbolt stockers, bolt in YFZ shocks and your done, its pretty self explanitory

·
Registered
340 Posts
Keep in mind, once you set up the 450 shocks, you're going to want the ride to get even smoother! That being said, be prepared to shell out the big bucks for the Fox or Elka's!!!!

Frank

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
frankhkp7 said:
Keep in mind, once you set up the 450 shocks, you're going to want the ride to get even smoother! That being said, be prepared to shell out the big bucks for the Fox or Elka's!!!!

Frank
i dont do much hardcore riding im sure the yfz's will do me fine

·
Registered
115 Posts
After I put my 06 yfz 450 front shocks,it was like night & day.At our farm we have alot of off camber turns.My stock shock would let the front end nose dive & make it hard to turn.I'm on the heavy side at about 250# with gear,but the 450 shocks(pre load screwed all the way down with fast rebound & hard compretion)made it feel 10 times better around the turns.I payed alittle high around $275 on E-bay,but it's my best up grade yet & have no regrets.Hope that helps

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
raptor brothers said:
After I put my 06 yfz 450 front shocks,it was like night & day.At our farm we have alot of off camber turns.My stock shock would let the front end nose dive & make it hard to turn.I'm on the heavy side at about 250# with gear,but the 450 shocks(pre load screwed all the way down with fast rebound & hard compretion)made it feel 10 times better around the turns.I payed alittle high around $275 on E-bay,but it's my best up grade yet & have no regrets.Hope that helps
im getting a set for 120 off a guy on a yfz forum, i cant wait

·
Registered
815 Posts
i have the 06 yfz shocks also.... just remember that the new the yfz shocks the better they are.... i mean - like the 04 yfz shocks are not as good of a shock as the 05 yfz shocks.... i thought the 06 and 05 shocks were the same, but someone told me that even the 06 yfz shocks were better than the 05..... so just make sure you are bidding on a newer set (not 04 shocks).... just my opnion...
I paid $200 for my set of 06 yfz shocks about 3 months ago on ebay.

Plattner

·
Registered
287 Posts
Is there any particular down-side to putting the YFZ450 shocks on the Raptor? I am on the lighter side at about 175, so I don't really need a HD shock, but seems like the YFZ450 shocks are valved on the lighter side since it is a lighter quad...is that true? If so, will I care being an average rider?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Also, how do you go about setting up the shocks? How do you know what settings to use? Sorry, but I've never owned a rig with adjustable shocks, other than preload. Is there a primer in shock adjustment? TIA...

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I weight 135 or so with gear and they work great for me. They have 3 different adjustable setting on them...

Preload, Compression and rebound.

Compression and rebound are adjusted with a screw driver. The preload is either adjusted with a shock adjusted or do what I do and use a hammer and a flat head screw driver. Here is a nice write-up on how to adjust them and the settings you should go for.

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=192286

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
jwaked said:
Do people replace the rear one also or is it just the front ones?

Jay
The rear yfz450 shock doesnt fit raptors. Not unless you send it somewhere and have a different linkage put on.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
jwaked said:
I have never delt with the shocks and I don´t mean to still the threat but are the 450 shocks better for the track or also for the trails? How do they benefit my 700?
Really both. They are justa much nicer shock then the stock ones... Period.

I mainly ride trail and I noticed a very nice increase when I added mine. And the the track, well thats basicly what the yfz450 thrives on so they do great there too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.