Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There might be a thread on this but I could not find it.

I am looking to buy some shocks for my 06' Raptor 700 since I just have the stock pogos.

My question is I read on ATV.com that the new 2010 YFZ450 shocks have many improvements.

That being said are newer Raptor 700 shocks like from a 09' or newer better or worse than the 2010 YFZ450 shocks?

If the YFZ450 shocks are better, which shock set would work on a 06' 700 for a 220lb rider? the 450X or the 450R? I have stock arms and just want to bolt up without any mods or minor modding.

I really don't want to spend too much, around $225, and I have seen some 2010YFZ450 shocks go for that much.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

I have seen the eye length on stock 700 shocks but can't find it right now but I think its 15.5".

Not sure on the 450X & 450R lengths???

Thanks all!!!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Going from memory here but the 450 shocks are shorter by about 1 inch so it will lower your front stance a bit. Also, the 450 shocks are significantly stiffer.

I don't know what difference there is between the newer and older 450 shocks, but in 2009 the Raptor shocks got a very small upgrade.. I think it's like 1/4" more travel. Probably not worth loosing any sleep over.

You can find 700 shocks on here for 200-250 pretty often.. They aren't more expensive than the 450's.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
The old 450 shocks are like 16 and some inchs long the 700 is 17 and some inchs long and I think the new 450s are long travel and there like 18 and some inchs long. I think the old 450 just have slow compresson adjustment and the 700 and new 450 have the hugh and low compress and ll have the preload and rebound adjuster. I'm not sure what else is different.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
All YFZ450 shocks from 04 thru 08 are 15 3/4" eye to eye,
07 SE Bill Balance & all 08's have the high/low speed compression,
All Raptor piggyback shocks have h/l speed and are 16" eye to eye,
All 09-11 YFZ450R shocks are LT 18 1/2" eye to eye,
All YFZ450X shocks are 16 3/4" eye to eye,
The YFZ shocks are stiffer then pogos as they are a single spring (dual rate coil) and should be stiffer because they are made to be rode more aggressive,
You can not put YFZ450R shocks on stock Raptor arms or +2 with stock length eye to eye, only LT arms,
You can put on stock arms 04-08 YFZ's, all Raptor piggybacks and even the YFZ450X shocks,
The 04-08 YFZ's and the Raptors have the same travel and same coil spring length (10") the 1/4" difference eye to eye is in the bottom mount of the shock (Raptors is 1/4" longer),
The YFZ450X shocks will work and are great (I just put them on one of my Raptor's) but your ball joints bottom before the shock will, to be safe you can have the shock shortened, put a spacer under the bumpstop cup.
I am sending mine in to be re-valved and new dual rate coils, I will let you know the result when I run them when done.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All YFZ450 shocks from 04 thru 08 are 15 3/4" eye to eye,
07 SE Bill Balance & all 08's have the high/low speed compression,
All Raptor piggyback shocks have h/l speed and are 16" eye to eye,
All 09-11 YFZ450R shocks are LT 18 1/2" eye to eye,
All YFZ450X shocks are 16 3/4" eye to eye,
The YFZ shocks are stiffer then pogos as they are a single spring (dual rate coil) and should be stiffer because they are made to be rode more aggressive,
You can not put YFZ450R shocks on stock Raptor arms or +2 with stock length eye to eye, only LT arms,
You can put on stock arms 04-08 YFZ's, all Raptor piggybacks and even the YFZ450X shocks,
The 04-08 YFZ's and the Raptors have the same travel and same coil spring length (10") the 1/4" difference eye to eye is in the bottom mount of the shock (Raptors is 1/4" longer),
The YFZ450X shocks will work and are great (I just put them on one of my Raptor's) but your ball joints bottom before the shock will, to be safe you can have the shock shortened, put a spacer under the bumpstop cup.
I am sending mine in to be re-valved and new dual rate coils, I will let you know the result when I run them when done.
Thanks jogaca....this was REALLY informative....if you remember, let me know how your shocks turn out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
332 Posts
i put on some older yfz450 shocks on my 06. Way better than the stock raptor ones. I got them for 100bucks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a set of 450X shocks on my raptor they bolted in well need to use a washer on the top bolt.

However I noticed after one trail ride (semi aggressive) that the ball joints were being stressed you could see the grease being pushed out of them. So that meant that the ball joint was bottoming out before the shock, not a good thing.

I decided to sell them and get a set of raptor SE shocks they have the same amount of adjustment and fit perfectly. However IMO the 450x shock definitely had a better spring but dont want to risk blowing out a ball joint on a hard hit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts