Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a set of new take off YFZ450X shocks. I could not pass up the deal I got, but I do know that I am going to run into length issues.

The X shock measures 17" eye to eye compared to my stock 16" eye to eye pogo shocks. What can I do to install these shocks and not run into ride comfort or geometry problems?

I was thinking about some +2 a-arms, but I do not know if that alone will work. Can the preload collar be adjusted enough to compensate for 1" difference? Thanks for any help guys.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
there will be a slight geometry issue with running them because of how much stroke the shock has, but if you're just trail riding with them it might not be too much of an issue. adjust the preload collar all the way to the top and see what they look like since you already have them. the extra chassis clearance is always nice in the desert as long as it's not too excessive.

you can send the shocks in to a reputable shock builder and have them reworked.. new shaft and new springs. but then they won't be a great deal anymore.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would +2 arms lower the ride hieght at all? I know extended arms and 450R shocks lowered the ride hieght of my 400EX.

My goal is to get back to stock hieght or slightly lower. So I am thinking about adjusting the preload ring all the way soft and then going with some aftermarket arms. I do not actually have the shocks yet. They are shipping out to me tomorrow a.m.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
the shock mount on the extended arms is in the same position as stock, or should be atleast. I put LSR +2 standard travel arms on my ex's 700 raptor a few years ago with the stock shocks, and it sat at the same height as it was stock.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody know if the yfz450X a-arms will bolt onto a Raptor 700 frame?

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
You might try the lowering kit from RMATV. Its like $99 and it lowers the front 7/8 of an inch. hope this helps.8)

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
If a lowering kit is installed will that affect the landing when jumping or trail riding?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You might try the lowering kit from RMATV. Its like $99 and it lowers the front 7/8 of an inch. hope this helps.8)

Can you explain a little further as far as brand and part number? This might be a solution I will consider. I could keep the awesome ride of these shocks and stay around the same ride hieght.

The only one I found was the durablue kit that lowers 1 1/2" or 2" which is too much I think.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard about the washer for the shock idea, but I was wondering if the A-arm from a yfz450x will bolt to the frame of a raptor 700.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have heard about the washer for the shock idea, but I was wondering if the A-arm from a yfz450x will bolt to the frame of a raptor 700.
No they won't. I would look into long travel a-arms that use the same eye to eye length as the shocks you have.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the clarify. I have been looking at long travel arms, but the shortest length I can find is about 18.25.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Look at yfz arms too. The older yfz arms fit the raptor but the yfzr and yfzx arms are different. Another option would be to get in contact with floridawoodsraptor here on the forum. If i remember right he made a bracket to run longer shocks on regular travel arms. He would probably make you some for a good price. I could be wrong though. :confused:

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
Can you explain a little further as far as brand and part number? This might be a solution I will consider. I could keep the awesome ride of these shocks and stay around the same ride hieght.

The only one I found was the durablue kit that lowers 1 1/2" or 2" which is too much I think.
yes, they say 1 1/2 to 2 inches. it only lowers it 7/8 of an inch. the part # is 1011060012. just looked it up. they show 1 left. $84.99. its a 1 peice bar that bolts up from the old shock mounts & moves the top of the shock up & out from stock location's. it fits in the channel that runs from stock mount to the stock mount on other side. hope this helps.;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That actually helps quite a bit. Looks like this idea might actually work out. I can not wait! I rode a buddies X and it felt great. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
319 Posts
sorry to hyjack the thread but my question is relevant,

i know that its been said is this thread but to be sure

will YZF450 long travel A Arms fit a 2007 rappy 700, as i have been offered some complete with aftermarket shocks, this is the link that he has sent me

http://www.gtthunder.com/yfz450v4.htm

i dont know a price yet,

thanks in advance

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
As long as its the yfz 450 and not the r or the x, 04-09 yfz arms can directly swap over to the raptor. The 04 -05 tie rods don't fit but 06- 09 do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts