Raptor Forum banner

Yikes, my new Raptor went swimming

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  NVMYRC 
#1 ·
My son was side hilling and went into a lake ( was about 6 ft. deep), quad floated for a few moments, then went belly up, :'( put it right side up, and swam it to shore, took out the spark plug, got all the water out of the engine and dried it, and it started right up, I know to change the oil tomorrow, any other ideas??

#6 ·
Machy said:
clean out your filter and filter box, make sure no moisture in the intake.

Might wanna drain gas tank if you wanna be extra safe, but I think it might be alright... ::)

You could always put a snorkel and extended exhaust on the rappy!
Yup, I was with a friend when he put his Suzuki 450 through the water, that was cool make sure the check the intake, his had silt(sand) in it. We drained his gas tank, didn't have any water in it, but its a fairly cheap failsafe..

haha, snorkel does no good upside down! :lol:

#8 ·
make sure u flush the oil clean and change the gas. After that run it to get any moisture out of the quad internals to keep it from rusting. I flooded mine 4 months back and it has run just fine although mine didnt flip over and I had to tow it 5 miles mack to the truck.

#9 ·
I was there, one of the lucky ones to help get it out of the water and get it started. The funny part is that we looked at the air box drain and it looked clean so we assumed no water in air box, but we kept crankin and water kept shootin out of the plug hole like a whale in heat. Finally we checked the airbox and it was full. I guess we forgot that water is clear :lol:. it took about five minutes of running before the exauhst wasn't white anymore. Seems like you never have a camera when you need one though.

#10 ·
Some guys will flush their engine with diesel. . . it is oil after all.

Uh. . . pictures please :lol:

#11 ·
DuneMe said:
Some guys will flush their engine with diesel. . . it is oil after all.

Uh. . . pictures please :lol:
DO NOT FLUSH :eek: any engine with Diesel fuel as it is only 1/8's oil based and will contaminate you oil system etc .Use normal grade motor oil will be OK :thumbsup:

#12 ·
rappyhappy said:
I was there, one of the lucky ones to help get it out of the water and get it started. The funny part is that we looked at the air box drain and it looked clean so we assumed no water in air box, but we kept crankin and water kept shootin out of the plug hole like a whale in heat... ."
Like a whale in heat? Talk about learning something new about members everyday. Geez. :lol:

#15 ·
I do live in Oregon in the winter there isn't much to look at!

#16 ·
I would change/flush every fluid on the bike, clean the fish out of the air filter and re grease everything that is greaseable (wheel bearings, rear axle, a-arms, steering stem.....) with water proof boat grease. That way next time it goes for a swim you won’t have to worry about it. Oh, yeah don’t forget to drain the muffler fluid. :lol: Just messing with ya. :)

#18 ·
I went snorkeling with mine at Florence as well about two months ago. I did end up with water in my oil. I changed the oil four times in one day and it took care of it. I changed it first thing in the morning, rode for an hour or so and then did it again, repeat three times. Also, depending on your air filter, I cleaned my air-filter and re-oiled well. No problems since. I did get an award for most original use of a Raptor; personal flotation device. :thumbsup:

Craig,

PS: You might also run just a little dry gas in your fuel tank just to be on the safe side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.