Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all -

new to the world of raptors but grew up on dirtbikes. anyway, been without a toy for a few years and my uncle handed me a pretty clean '04 or '05 350 raptor to play around on...only problem is it isn't running well. came here hoping I could describe the symptoms and see if whether this is a common issue.

quad was given to me with what my uncle said a 'bad battery' given that the quad would just die randomly. Bought a brand new battery last week, along with a battery charger to preserve its life. When i got it home, it started right up. After about 5-10 minutes of idling, however, it died (hadn't been ridden in months so I was letting it warm up). After that, it wouldn't start electrically, could hear the ticking but didn't seem like enough power to turn it over. Odd, because it was a brand new battery. Went that way the rest of the night, so i decided to take the battery charger to it overnight.

Looked at it the next day, after charger said 'charged' and the bike started right up 1st shot. sounded great, and tore down the street to get it thru 1, 2, and 3rd gear. 90 second later as I began to slow down the quad dies and I can't get it to start back up. Long story short, this is whats been happening for the past week. I charge it overnight, it starts right up and sounds great, rides fine, but then something seems to be shorting out the quad enough to where it dies mid-ride and will not start back up. Also seems like whatever the issue is, it's also causing to drain the battery??... Recharging the battery overnight seems to solve the issue for about 2 min, but then the thing dies again. I haven't had a chance to really diagnose it, but I'm not extremely mechanically-inclined electrically anyway so I wouldn't know what the problem is or where to start.

If anyone has any ideas where I might be able to look first it would be really appreciated. I'd love to get this thing up and running, and don't feel like handing the shop $85 an hour to diagnose it.

Thanks guys.
8)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It must be something electrical like the CDI or the rectifier or stator or something. I'm no expert though hopefully somebody else can help you out

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have you considered bad gas?

Does it crank after it dies or do nothing at all?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It must be something electrical like the CDI or the rectifier or stator or something. I'm no expert though hopefully somebody else can help you out
YamahaBlue - thanks for the suggestion. I am thinking you are right, has to be something electrically because when the battery is fully charged it starts right up - but 2 minutes after the quads been running something is causing it to bog down super quick and then die. Also seems like its draining the battery because it won't start back up until I recharge the battery.

Unfortunately I'm a very novice mechanic and only have experience doing basic maintenance and other things...nothing of the electrical sort. Are there any DIY type guides on this site that could help me check into it? Once I figure out what the problem is I'm sure I can fix it, I just don't know where to begin.

Thanks
8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you considered bad gas?

Does it crank after it dies or do nothing at all?
JAM - Originally this was the first thing I considered. However, after I got it to start, I figured the gas in it was fine even though it had been sitting in the tank. Plus, once the battery is charged, it runs fine for about 2 min, then suddenly dies, as if something is grounding out the battery and causing it to drain, because I can then not get it started until I recharge the battery. however, I'll take your suggestion and drain the tank when I get home and refuel with fresh gas. I'm not sure how much it will help but it's worth a shot.

After it dies, I can hear it ticking, and it cranks but it just doesn't turn over. Sounds like a car trying to turn over with a dead battery, so I'm assuming that the battery is just so weak at that point it doesn't have enough power to start the quad. My problem is - I don't know what's causing this short, and whatever it is seems like its F'ing up the battery as well and causing it to drain.

Any other suggestions anyone??

Appreciate the help guys 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*Update = got home, after an overnight of charging it, and started it (no choke) fist try. Just let it idle to see if maybe riding it right off the bat was putting too much exertion on the battery and causing it to die. after 3 min of idling it died, and would not start back up unless the choke was on. As I began to turn the choke off the quad would begin to die. I was able to do this about 3 or 4 times until the battery was so weak that it wouldn't even start with the choke on.

Trying to give you guys as many clues/symptoms as possible... this is frustrating ???

anyone with any possible ideas are welcomed

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The issue with the choke sounds like its not getting enough gas like possibly a dirty carb or lean jetting. But that still doesn't really explain the issue with the battery dying

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
1) if the starter is turning the engine over, but it just won't catch fire and run, it has nothing to do with battery or battery charge.

2) if choke is required to keep it running, the carb is dirty and needs a full, complete dismantle and cleaning to jet level.

3) get it running, and measure battery voltage while running well above idle. If not at least 13.5 VDC, the charging system is not working poperly, but with a fully charged battery (and headlights off) it should take hours of riding before battery charge drops to the point where engine dies.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I suggest you clean the carbs, dismantle and clean every jet with a good carb cleaner and wire, the holes in these jets are small and extremely sensitive to dirt and or old gas.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey all -

new to the world of raptors but grew up on dirtbikes. anyway, been without a toy for a few years and my uncle handed me a pretty clean '04 or '05 350 raptor to play around on...only problem is it isn't running well. came here hoping I could describe the symptoms and see if whether this is a common issue.

quad was given to me with what my uncle said a 'bad battery' given that the quad would just die randomly. Bought a brand new battery last week, along with a battery charger to preserve its life. When i got it home, it started right up. After about 5-10 minutes of idling, however, it died (hadn't been ridden in months so I was letting it warm up). After that, it wouldn't start electrically, could hear the ticking but didn't seem like enough power to turn it over. Odd, because it was a brand new battery. Went that way the rest of the night, so i decided to take the battery charger to it overnight.

Looked at it the next day, after charger said 'charged' and the bike started right up 1st shot. sounded great, and tore down the street to get it thru 1, 2, and 3rd gear. 90 second later as I began to slow down the quad dies and I can't get it to start back up. Long story short, this is whats been happening for the past week. I charge it overnight, it starts right up and sounds great, rides fine, but then something seems to be shorting out the quad enough to where it dies mid-ride and will not start back up. Also seems like whatever the issue is, it's also causing to drain the battery??... Recharging the battery overnight seems to solve the issue for about 2 min, but then the thing dies again. I haven't had a chance to really diagnose it, but I'm not extremely mechanically-inclined electrically anyway so I wouldn't know what the problem is or where to start.

If anyone has any ideas where I might be able to look first it would be really appreciated. I'd love to get this thing up and running, and don't feel like handing the shop $85 an hour to diagnose it.

Thanks guys.
8)
Did you ever figure out the issue?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts