Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at getting a quick atv and I narrowed my choices down to the raptor 700 and the YZF 450. I found that the 450's are all carbureted until 09+ which I'm not sure if I like this? The 700's however are FI. I want a machine that is quick can pull wheelie's easy and I will be using it for dunes and mountain riding. I learned on an older 87 yamaha 250 and road that as a kid and two years ago my dad got a Polaris 800 and it is a nice atv but not my type. I just recently rode a friend TRX 450R on asphalt and it had decent pick-up on it but I want something quicker.

On this forum people say that there 700's are quicker than 450's but everywhere else I read that the 450's kill the 700's not by much though. Which as long as I get a quick ATV I don't care if it's slightly slower than something else in its class. Anyone have any tips/pro's or con's about getting a atv and what are you opinions for the automatics vs manuals?

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
How quick a machine is depends mainly on its rider (experience/weight). A lot of those 450s that "kill the 700s" are probably ridden by lightweight riders. For what you're wanting to do, the 700 would be a great choice...I have both machines and for dunes/mountain riding I'd choose the 700 hands down.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
If you're racing go with the 450 hands down, that's what they were built to do. The 450 is lighter with a lower center of gravity and it revs faster getting to its peak horsepower numbers more quickly than the big bore bikes. For the type of riding you described go with the 700, it will out power the 450 as long as the mods are similar.... but you won't beat it around the MX track or any stop and go type competition. Good luck

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
I also have both, & for what you want to do the 700 is your Quad. 8)

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I've raced against tons of 450's in the woods and I can keep pace no problem. Sometimes the 700 is better, for example I went wide on a turn, basically stopped dead to avoid bushes, 450 cut inside, but I was able to outpower him and get to the top of the hill before he did and stay in front. With good suspension, the 700 is hard to beat all around. It is heavier and probably makes me more tired than I have to be is the biggest con. I went with my raptor cause the 450's didn't have efi at the time and felt more comfortable. Like Blueranger said, for what you want to do the 700 looks like a good fit though.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
There's no such think as "kill but not by much". In a straight line drag race between 2 stock ones....wait, when's the last time you saw a stock 700 and stock yfz side by side in the dunes? I can't recall. So it's irrelevant for 2 reasons. One; they are so close in a straight line that rider error or weight is a bigger factor and Two; you're never going to find another stock one to race anyway. And if by some miracle you do find one, if you beat them then they will mod their quad to beat you. If you lose, you'll mod yours to beat them. This is the never ending struggle mankind is locked into, always an attempt to one-up the next guy. So the question of which one of them is 1 quad length faster in a drag race holds little relevancy. The YFZ is faster on the track, and if that's how you're going to ride....see below.

They are 2 very different atvs made for 2 different applications. If a market didn't exist for both then Yamaha wouldn't still be making both of them after 7 years side by side. The YFZ was made for racing, you're not racing XC or MX tracks you're in the dunes and on mountain trails. If you want to jump and play and throw the quad around both are going to be heavy but the YFZ will be the better choice. If you're going to dune and trail ride with it, I'd prefer the 700.

Also, the YZF is the dirt bike, the YFZ is the atv. Not a big deal but might confuse some people when you're asking the question.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I've raced against tons of 450's in the woods and I can keep pace no problem. Sometimes the 700 is better, for example I went wide on a turn, basically stopped dead to avoid bushes, 450 cut inside, but I was able to outpower him and get to the top of the hill before he did and stay in front. With good suspension, the 700 is hard to beat all around. It is heavier and probably makes me more tired than I have to be is the biggest con. I went with my raptor cause the 450's didn't have efi at the time and felt more comfortable. Like Blueranger said, for what you want to do the 700 looks like a good fit though.
You're right about the woods...racing a 450 in the woods is close but what I've seen with my 720 is that the 450 being lighter and lower will consistently continue to corner better while my 500lb sled begins to show brake fade in the first 15 minutes then I can't stop anymore. If i pace myself like I would in a harescramble or GNCC race then they're gone...and I have YFZ front brakes on my 720!

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
The newer YFZR isn't far off from the weight of a stock 700, mfr claimed wet weights are 403 for the YFZR and 422 for the 700. The old yfz, with a claimed 350 dry, was quite light. But all those big shocks and wider a-arms and such make for a heavier atv.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, thanks for all the reply's so quickly, this forum is great!

I have seen lots of different mods online that people do to their raptors, and I am curious, what is the big bore kit and how easy is it to do? and also what would some of your top choices be for modding a 700 which will be for dunes/mountain riding?

·
Registered
320 Posts
nothing like watching a 450 grind its ass all over a hill full of big rocks and ruts while you sit at the top with your 700 laffing at them hook up over and over for trails rappy rules... and in a straight line he might beat you in the first 100 feet by a half a quad but by the time you hit second its all over...no doubt the 450 is the best on the mx track ... they jump like no tommorow .. alls fair the 450 has its good points but its a bitch when you have to keep passing them on a strait while on the trail ....700 for sand and trail ...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Here we go!
I have 4 guys I ride with that have the 450. When I met them I was riding a WR 426 ( dirt bike) and decided that I wanted a quad. They were all telling me to get a 450. told me the handling was better and they were faster. But I have like the bigger motors with lots of TQ. I figured that the raptor would be just as fast or faster, or at least be better at hill climbing, which is what I really like doing. I also liked the FI idea instead of the carberator stuff, and having reverse. The 450 does not have reverse.
So I went with a new 07 700. After getting it, at first, I was a little disappointed. In straight line drags I got beat everytime, not by much, but enough that I begain to wish I had boughen the 450. Also i noticed that the 450 rode quite a bit better. Im a little guy weighing in at 135lbs, depending on the day. What really made it bad was my buddies were all rubbing it in that the 450 was better and I should have listened to them. Even after PC3 duel exhaust and K&N filter they were still faster. But they had better and bigger intakes and really good exhaust. My intake was not that good and my duel exhaust was the old DMC,s I finely decided that I liked my raptor even though It was not as fast and I was going to keep it and make it fast. Whatever it took I would be faster! Well! After a HC3 and a high compression piston I was blowing there doors off, it was awsome!! Since then they have not been able to touch me.
One of them I ride with all the time did a lot of stuff to his 450, motor work, cutting fenders, he even took off his lights and went to a kick start, he saved a lot of weight by doing that. He would have finely been able to beet me but I also did some other improvements and he his about maxed out on what he can do, while I still have more I could do for not to much more $$.
Oh and the ride and handling on the raptors is, IMO just has smooth if you get a raptor with the piggy back suspension. The better suspension is on the 08's and newer.
Now these guys are all wanting Raptors, most of what we do is dersert riding and sand dunes, and a little mountain riding too.
Im really clad I went with the raptor!
Unless the only thing you do is ride track, I would also say, GO WITH THE RAPTOR!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have seen lots of different mods online that people do to their raptors, and I am curious, what is the big bore kit and how easy is it to do? and also what would some of your top choices be for modding a 700 which will be for dunes/mountain riding?

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
There are lots of "big bore kits" and even more options directly from engine builders, and even more than that if you don't need to buy it in a "kit".

How easy depends on your level of experience, but if you're asking what a big bore kit is I'm guessing that level is rather low. In which case you would need to gauge your own comfort with disassembling the top end of the motor (everything above the cases), removing the piston, installing a new piston on the existing connecting rod, gapping the rings and installing the new cylinder, and putting the head back on along with setting the cam timing (or possibly installing a new camshaft to go with the big bore kit).

Top choices would start elsewhere besides engine mods. I'd start with an intake, fuel controller, and exhaust. If you have aspirations of a big bore kit in the future I'd go with a set of dual pipes or a big single, a power commander or perhaps the new MSD, and I'd consider an FCI with an airbox. For the sand you're going to want some good tires. I like skat trak edge for sand trails and skat trak haulers for the rest of the dunes provided it's not full of sticks and gravel. For the trails you're going to want some better tires as well, too many options there to list. Also if the trails are rough up in the mountains you may want a good set of skid plates.

Then we move on to ergonomics with things like handlebars, stabilizers, etc. Only then do I worry about the engine, and that's only if the stock suspension is meeting your needs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts