Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got a 2006 Raptor 700r with a pipe k&n high compression piston, port polished heads, and a stroke cam. But I want it faster so I bought a 05 zx10 motor with ecu and wiring harness and all. I plan to run the k&n individual filters and I'd like to use the stock tank if it would be possible. I've seen quite the few conversions on here Mainly with r1s . I plan to start next week after our lil trip to Hungry Valley. Main use with be sand drags.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess my main concern is all the talk of the sprockets lining up. Is the from left to right or on the same horizontal plain?

·
Registered
26 Posts
both! u want to use the stock raptor fuel tank? I got a box made to house the fuel pump and its gravity fed from the stock tank...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'd like to keep the stock tank, although it seems the convos have been custom fuel tanks. Do u have pics of the fuel box? What degree/angles are the sprockets set at? And r u putting the pivot point for the swing arm o. The motor?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I dont have it back from the fab guy yet... when I get it I can send pics... hard times custom quads is doing it... look him up... he specializes in these converstions.. Ive called him and hes alot of help... no bs,hes honest with ya...hes doing a custom airbox and fuel box for me... read my thread on my project... one of the guys who has done this before kinda lays out the chain angle so you dont break chains... kinda got to get the front sproket into the same location as the stock one...to far forward and you will snap chains..if you want to call or text me feel free... sometimes is easier to explain that way.. im in northern indiana

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well went in today and ordered my axle, swinger, hubs, sprockets, new handle bar and handle bar mounts and extended brake line.

I've decided to go with a 6+ chromoly swinger-American Star, the RPM axle plus 3", steel sprockets 14/54 combo, and billet hubs. I will start the tear down Sunday after we get back. We are heading to Hungry Valley for a weekend ride. Just the quads and the Joyner for the kids. One last ride with the stroker 700! Then its three weeks to convert for president's day weekend! Ill keep u all posted on the build and tear down.

Thanks to BIGRIG for all the pics and info, don't worry we'll talk a lot more I'm sure.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I started the tear down today. Almost done just gotta go pick up some start bits from the store to take the frame apart. It is all going fairly well. I plan, when I get the 700 out to sand and clean the frame and paint it black. I did notice however that the frame is a two piece rather than one whole piece. There is also a loop at the top of the frame where the tank goes. So, I might not ha e to do as much frame modification as I thought. Although I am sure the bottom will have to be widened. Ill keep you all posted and get some pics up later. I plan to have the engine out tonight. We'll see

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woot woot! Engine is out. Ill clean it up and post it for sale on here and c-list. The frame is two did pieces like I said in previous post. So the zx10 engine will slide in from the rear. Ill post pics later. Tomorrow I'm gonna mock up the motor and see what Fab working I gotta do. After talking with BIGRIG I'm gonna go with a 12+ swinger. Better to utilize the 998cc's rather than have a wheelie machine all the time. Although I'm sure I will be doing g that anyway.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[/IMG]

rear end removed. pretty simply drop. here u can see the frame diff i was talking about

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[/IMG]

rear end view with motor pulled i have raptor parts all over the place lol. ill be cleaning them up if you guys need anything let me know. I'm pretty much going to be rebuilding the entire rear end with new stuff, axel, swinger, hubs, the handle bars and controls (starter lights, kill switch will all be replaced with the ZX10 controls. I'm planning to use the stock radiator as it has been done before with no reports of overheating from with I've seen. i am going to probably stick with the stock fuel tank and maybe do a lil something different with the air box. i plan to relocated the battery to under the seat in the back where aol the fuses and crap went before. i will mount the ECU and fuze boxes around that area also. i wanna custom build a small box from mild thin steel to bolt onto the sub frame, we will see how that goes. well been a long night, updates tomorrow as they come. good night all

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
new pic

view from back with engine removed, you can see now how the subframe and the back half of the main frame are apart from the bike. i might get away with minimal cutting and welding....either way is cool for me.

tomorrow I'm gonna clean and sand down the frame it has a bit of rust on it. waiting for parts to be ordered, I'm going in tuesday thats when my guy will be there(he can get his commission):confused: but hey gotta get paid somehow....

and hopefully i will have my parts by the end of next week,:D by then i should have the motor in place with new mounts welded up and installed. we will see. whew been a fun day and you know what fun spelled backwards is right? "NUF" whew so I'm outta here

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice build, keep us posted! Looking good. Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank ya sir.

Took the front end off this weekend cut the bottom off the frame that had the lower mount from the old engine. Sanded and painted the sub and mid portion of the frame. Black with metallic flake. I'm gonna leave the front silver and the whole rear will be black with the flake. Still not sure of the fenders. Maybe the same black

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

side view with sub/rear frame attached before cutting

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

sub/rear frame painted black with metallic flake in clear coat, kinda hard to see with the lighting

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bigrig, thanks for the pics bro. i got the idea with the radiator. wonder if the stock kaki radiator will work??? not sure but its a thought, if not ill have to drop about 400 bones on a custom built COPPER one :)

·
Sand blasting your paint is my specialty
954 Posts
Here's a little video of my R1 raptor vs Bigrig's zx-10 1-1 on this set of races. This was before he got his setup dialed in and was getting me by 1-2 bike lengths consistantly the next year.

Keep us posted on the build. The head scratching has only just begun.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh yeah, I've seen this video many of times :) it was the reference when I told my wife I wanted to do the build

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1 - 20 of 62 Posts