Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
looks nice man!! are you not having to modify the top tubes at all??
Thx, the way it looks as of so far no. I havent put the air box on yet. But I want to keep all the fairings stock. Not cutting. The 06 700 frame has a decent curve at the top so that will help out with the engine height.

Went and ordered all my parts today. Ended u having to get a 10" swinger. Won't be able to launch as hard but ill have to make do

·
Sand blasting your paint is my specialty
954 Posts
Couple of things with the swing arm. If you have it setup correctly 10" is plenty. I had an 8" on mine but was a little front heavy so it helped me out. If this is going to be a drag setup and not a trail bike make it so the bike is as low as you can. Making the swingarm parallel to the ground is the best. My bike used to wheelie like crazy until I lowered it 3-4" with an adjustable lowering link. Making the swingarm flat to the ground. Don't over paddle it. Also gearing the bike to launch is also helpful. Looking back it looks like you've already addressed the last point.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ended u having to get a 10" swinger. Won't be able to launch as hard but ill have to make do
If you extend the front too, you'll get better weight distribution, that's why I am going to +6 mine (3"in the engine bay and another 3"in between the a-arm mounts) just a thought

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Gotboost : yeah me and BIGRIG have been talking about it alot, but the gearing I ha e been back and forth on and it seems that the 14/55 is the best setup.

Richard: ur extending the frame up front 3"?

·
2011 RF Fantasy FootBall Champ
883 Posts
gearing

Gotboost : yeah me and BIGRIG have been talking about it alot, but the gearing I ha e been back and forth on and it seems that the 14/55 is the best setup.

With 25" tires that is what gearing i ran. Works good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

With 25" tires that is what gearing i ran. Works good.

Yeah when I was ordering my parts I priced out a set of rippers 25". How many paddles were u running? And were they 25-12-10?

·
2011 RF Fantasy FootBall Champ
883 Posts
Yeah when I was ordering my parts I priced out a set of rippers 25". How many paddles were u running? And were they 25-12-10?
I ran 25-12-9 14 paddle rippers and 25-12-10 12 paddle rippers.

With a 10 over arm I would try 14 paddle rippers and hold on tight. ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Slo7hundo Richard: ur extending the frame up front 3"?[/QUOTE said:
3" in the front of the engine bay and another 3" between the a-arms for a total of 6" (going to have to relocate the a-arm mounts) but I think it'll help out a lot

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Richard: yep. Ur right. Basically I've figured the easiest way is gonna be to build the bike around the engine. So i chop the top and bottom added 6" up top to account for the engine tilting so i can use the cone K&N air filters, maybe, I won't be able to stuff the stock air box in. I've already welded the top portion just now. Ill post pics later. About to Fab and weld up the bottom! Just had to take a lil break to UPDATE

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm gonna ha e to move the forward gas tank mounts back about 3"

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

just got done fabing up the top and bottom section of the frame. this is a view from the front left with the tank and seat on just to check the fit with the 6" extension on the top part.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

left side you can see the off set of the angles on the bottom rear and the top extension

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
i basically just put the front section of the frame after i chopped it, up to the front of the engine, lined it all up and then tac welded the top extensions, and then did the bottom section, building the frame angles around the motor. i want to keep the same 4 to 1 yoshi to come out the back, but the "y-pipe" will have to be cut and then angled down and around because of the swinger placement. i should get the swinger in NLT monday afternoon *fingers crossed* i have to finish this build by the prez day weekend to have it ready for our gordons well trip.

tomorrow night i am gonna start making the motor mounts up and around the engine. it will be similar to a stunt cage that you see on sport bikes. at least it will come up around the side of the engine like that.

ill post up more pics tomorrow. hope ya enjoy these...i sure did :)

·
Sand blasting your paint is my specialty
954 Posts
Richard: yep. Ur right. Basically I've figured the easiest way is gonna be to build the bike around the engine. So i chop the top and bottom added 6" up top to account for the engine tilting so i can use the cone K&N air filters, maybe, I won't be able to stuff the stock air box in. I've already welded the top portion just now. Ill post pics later. About to Fab and weld up the bottom! Just had to take a lil break to UPDATE
Look up Peter D motorsports. They make sprint car stuff. Alot of their little sprint cars are motorcycle engine based. I bought a filter setup from them that was alot better then the cones. Because the cones the two center ones get smashed and have no access to cold air. They also have them in different heights so the one I got was only about 1.5" tall.

http://peterdmotorsports.com/parts-db/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_50&products_id=152

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thx ill Def check em out

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought about using the K&N little filters too but I know of a fab guy who build intake manifolds for high performance full drag cars and I think I'm going to go that route for performance sake and better tuning (just something to think about)

I like the way your build is coming together I'm doing it the same way too chop the frame and build around the motor, I can't wait to see how your motor mounts come out (i'm a few days behind you in my build so I like that I can log on and see how your stuff turned out so I can decide how I want to do something)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The tubing is DOM .120 wall. Yeah its a flux mig. No gas. Cheap lil welder but does a hell of a job. I've welded Sandrail stingers exhaust, Polaris RZR XP wheel bearings, the front a arms on my Sandrail and its still kicking.

Yeah I still haven't really decided about how I'm gonna do the motor mounts. Guess I'm gonna just weld it up and see how it goes.:D

21 - 40 of 62 Posts