Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some pics and videos from our trip to Oklahoma last week. I will try and post some from my phone. I am stuck in the hospital intensive care unit as my fiance got hurt very badly in a sand rail accident while taking a ride. She had a big surgery so we are still in the icu. So I thought I would kill some time and try to post.
Depending upon the sand conditions the ZX14 raptor ran very well and turned a lot of heads. I never put the wheelie bar and rippers on it while we were there. I was just having fun doing wheelies and beating up on the kids that couldn't figure out what just passed them.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apparently i can't just pull pics off my phone with the paperclip attachment on this forum. Looks like i will have to post to photo bucket and then link.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,476 Posts
Best wishes to you and her. I've been in ICU a few times myself.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, she was the one out drag racing with the big yellow can am outlander 1000. It is gonna be a long rehad. She had spinal damage but I won't get into her injuries more than that. She asked a guy with a sand rail for a ride when he said he was going to do a wheelie. He did on the first jump, just brought up the nose and rode a wheelie down the backside of the dune. The second pass wasn't even that much, so apparently on the third pass he was gonna show off and jumped like 70 feet and crashed the back of the sand rail into the sand which made it slap the front down so hard it bottomed out the car and bounced up off the ground again. It destroyed her back amongst other injuries. If I wasn't trying to do patient care on my fiance I would have punched him right in the face for endangering her in such a fashion. Prior to the accident he said he was just gonna do a wheelie down the dune as he stood beside us criticizing the other sand rail owners saying to jump that dune was just too dangerous and then that's exactly what he did.

·
Being Single, Seeing Double, Making Triple
64 Posts
Hope your Fiance heals quickly. I heard about this the other day.

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
No doubt all our thoughts are with you guys....speedy recovery wishes.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I haven't gotten any pics posted yet or any videos. I have had my priorities and my life changed dramatically since the accident. My fiance is recovering and is improving. The doctors say she is a miracle given her injury, she was a miracle to me before she ever got injured. We will have to sell her quad to help pay for the bills and attorney but as long as she continues to improve I don't care. The rehab staff here is some of the best in our state and they are winning my vote and my thanks as she improves daily.
She vows someday she will ride again but i don't know whether she will ever race again. So you guys who got to race beside her out there and see her top fly up at the end of the drag race you might be out of luck of any repeat in the future. Thanks to everyone for you thoughts and prayers. I will eventually post some videos of the races.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry to hear this, prayers your way and hope all goes well.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm back on the forum, thanks to all the warm wishes for my girlfriend. They call her the miracle at the rehab center. I guess about 95% of people with her injury are wheel chair bound the rest of their lives. It was touch and go for quite awhile with a multitudes of screw ups by the hospital but she finally reached the surgeon she needed and he had a good day. So she had her surgery which they thought went well and she was able to retain movement in her legs and feet and slowly improved. The insurance wouldn't pay to bring her home the 12 hour drive and she couldn't ride in a car that far so we got her employer to arrange a critical care flight to get her home to our local rehab center. The rehab center was great and she started to improve rapidly but with a lot of pain and set backs. After 3 months she has almost full use of her legs but her feet are and will continue to be a problem. She walks but is limited and after about a half mile her foot starts to clop like a horse hoof. She had a regression last week which scared her as she hasn't hurt her back since but lost a lot of progess for some unknown reason.
She was able to barely pass her physical to return to work and is so very glad to be back to somewhat of a normal routine. She has some PTSD from the incident and she cringes just watching sand rails or side by sides jumping on youtube. But she still wants to ride atvs and maybe someday, ride my zx14 raptor which she was just learning to do the day of the accident. Yep, she's a racer. It has given me pause somewhat to the risks I take on the raptor and some of the other racing I have done. But I am still gonna race, you gotta live right. And there is just a warm glow I get when I pull up beside the other quads in the sand and know, someone's gonna eat some roost if they get too close to me. We won't be going to Oklahoma again for quite some time, probably start close with some familiar events and then go west, maybe waaaaay west. Gonna lengthen the swingarm on the raptor, currently 10 over, to 22 over. It needs all of that as it sits several inches higher than a stock raptor. Hopefully that will allow some big launching without the the wheelie bar. I also got some 18 paddle staggered rippers coming to feed the beast which as yet has not found its limits on tires.
Thanks again to everyone for your warm wishes and if you see a big blue raptor with a whole lot of motor sticking out the top, sides, and bottow, just come on over and say hi.

·
Super Moderator
7,758 Posts
So very glad to hear this has a positive outcome for her. No doubt it will take plenty of time before she gets in the saddle if at all.

How about a pic of that beast?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,476 Posts
I'm glad her recovery is coming along, it takes time, so, just go slow. It's a good sign that she wants to ride again. I know what you mean by hospital screw ups, it's happened to me for more then 1 1/2 years when my torn rotator cuff was misdiagnosed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts