Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a Raptor 660 and when i tore the engine apart i found all sorts of things wrong. The previous owner had a Stage 2 Hot Cam in it but didnt redo the valves so they wouldnt ping the piston. so needs new valves and new piston. also they didnt put the Tranny together correctly so the transmission shreaded itself some. and the crankcases are not flush from ppl prying it apart with a flathead screwdriver. so anyways i found a guy that has a 98 ZX6R that he was parting out. everything but cosmetic stuff is there. he said $250 for it all.The engine runs fine from what he says. We will find out soon. But my question is..I havent found anywhere on the internet where someone put a Ninja engine in a Raptor. Im trying to get a lil insight before i jump on this bandwagon. Anyone heard of anyone using a Ninja engine or what mods are necessary to fit the engine in the frame? or if it will even work correctly in the frame?

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I have seen several 600 Ninja engine's in Raptor based frames. I have no insight on how to do it (though there are many on this forum with knowledge on conversions) but there's a few things to consider.

It's alot of work, getting everything straight with all the pivot points correct.
It's hard to use the RPM's the 600 will want, especially in tight trails or woods
You'll probably be slower than a built Raptor Engine.

Check out the Conversion Section of the forum, there's alot of pics and ideas.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Unless you Bad ass at some Fab work then I would say just rebuild your motor. It is alot of work and time to put a bike motor in and will not be as cheap as you think. I'm sure it will also take a long time. A build raptor is really fast. The street bike motors are made for the road where there is little rolling resistance. Not saying a 600 wouldn't be fast but there are better ways of going about it and I'm sure you will be in deeper then you want to.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I believe I will herald the other replies in saying if you do not work in a metal fabrication shop and you do not have deep pockets, and it has not been you life long dream to build a street engine quad then you are best advised to seek a new 660 motor on ebay and start from there. If you want a super horsepower Raptor then look for some big motor builds that are being parted out. You can get quite a lot of motor for close to half price when sellers are ready to part out a bike. We are fast approaching the buying season when prices are at the lowest.
good luck,

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I believe I will herald the other replies in saying if you do not work in a metal fabrication shop and you do not have deep pockets, and it has not been you life long dream to build a street engine quad then you are best advised to seek a new 660 motor on ebay and start from there. If you want a super horsepower Raptor then look for some big motor builds that are being parted out. You can get quite a lot of motor for close to half price when sellers are ready to part out a bike. We are fast approaching the buying season when prices are at the lowest.
good luck,
Yeah if you get a complete and assembled motor that pushes out some good numbers you will be happy. You can get a good price on one as a whole to.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok sweet. Thanks guys. I had planned on Rebuilding the 660 engine at one point but wasnt sure when. I just talked to that guy and he wanted to get rid of it for cheap. I am pretty good a Fab work and ive done alot of custom work on several different jobs with buddies working on trucks and building trailers and what not. I just figured that if i could get that engine bolted in and get all the harnesses and everything in it then it would roll. I understand that it wouldnt jump like the 660 would in the dirt. but Im in New Mexico theres really only Sand and dirt out here. Im gonna need a new crank, bearings, cases, piston, valves, gears, basicly everything except the valve cover and,clutch, and jug for that raptor engine. its gonna be more expensive doing that than the ZX6R engine i fear.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
do you have piping? a welder? powdercoating? cables and cooing system? LOTS OF TIME and persistence? If you are set on doing the transformation there are alot of cost that will come into play that many people do not think about. That is why most people are telling you to shy away from it. If you ride mostly in the open then a street bike motor may be fast and fun. However, if it were me I do the right thing and just look for an entire motor that was pulled from a raptor. Yes it will be slightly more expensive but it will save you alot of frustration.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks im just hoping everything goes smoothly.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
an update....well everyone i ran into some problems with the fitment of the engine. the carbs sat too high and were hitting the top rails. so im in the process of fabing new bars coming up and over the top of the engine. Ive had to take off from working on it because ive had other things to do. But here soon im gonna get it put together. Ill post pic when i get home

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[/URL] [/IMG]

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
this is what i have so far. im gonna start bending the metal for the bars and everything once i get my bender in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts